About Me

My photo
I am currently 3rd grade teacher at West Burlington Elementary School in West Burlington, Iowa. I'm in my ninth year of teaching at the same school I attended from K-12. I pursuing my Master's degree in Instructional Technology through the University of Northern Iowa and I am so excited about this adventure.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My New Second Life


I created a new life during our 2nd day of Emerging Instructional Technology. We explored the world of Second Life for a few hours and wow... I love the shopping and dancing! No, but seriously this virtual world is absolutely amazing. We created an avatar for ourselves and took a tour of Iowa Island. There are so many things that you can that you can do in this world. I don't see the relevence for elementary education, but Sara's Sighs posted several other virtual worlds to take a look at. Even though I don't really see any applications for my 3rd grade classroom, I have an understanding of how it could be used in upper education or business. I'm wondering though if people would choose another avenue such a Adobe Connect or Skype for distance meetings and such. Personally, I really didn't want to get too enthralled in this virtual world. I can see myself getting addicted and spending too much time in my Second Life and not enough time in my REAL life.

2 comments:

  1. Second life is an interesting concept, and it is also interesting that you could see yourself getting addicted to this world. I struggled to find the application to the high school classroom, but I am glad to know about it, for it may be our future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Z said guy like to blow things up, he wasn't kidding. When I found the army uniform at the free clothing store, I was jazzed! Then I found myself looking for a store where I could get hand grenades. It reminded me of my single days when I played Doom until two in the morning. I'm such a guy ...

    ReplyDelete